Thursday, July 19, 2007

Harry Potter 7

Okay. I have to admit it. I can't wait to see what happens in the last book in the Harry Potter series...

I can't decide if Harry is going to die or if Dumbledore is going to wind up not really being dead and come to Harry's aid.... Then again, Hermione might die trying to save Harry. Or Ron for that matter. And then there's Ginny. And Neville. And my personal favorite, Professor Minerva McGonagall...

The truth is I'm taking my 10-year old son to the Harry Potter party not only because I think he should be part of this worldwide literary event, but because I want to get the book as soon as possible. I know. You'd think by the time you were old enough to have three kids of your own, you'd have outgrown the whole Harry Potter thing...

Sadly with me this has not been the case.

I'm aware that people say Rowling is Queen of the Adjective. (Or is it adverb?) I know people say she's shallow and doesn't write well. My only response is, "Are you nuts?" Rowling has created a cast of characters that's gripped kids from multiple nations for several years -- all while dealing with topics like depression, loss, destiny...

What's shallow about that?

You can argue all you want that kids are still not reading as much as they used to. That Harry Potter is a flash-in-the-pan phenomenon. That anyone could have done it with enough hype...

I tend to doubt that but I could be wrong.

No comments: