Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Who Knew?

I just read about something called, "TiVo Guilt."  Who knew there was such a thing?  All I knew was that I'd been struggling with what I think of as TiVo Overload and feeling very alone in the process.  In fact, when I happily told a friend I'd cleaned off my TiVo and she - non TiVo person that she is - looked at me as if I'd lost my mind, I was sure I was alone.  But how thrilled am I to have discovered I'm not!  Chalk one up for the misery-loves-company phenomenon.

So for me it's not the problem of deciding what to delete or what season passes to keep.  My TiVo complication is that after years of G-rated television (the least desirable side effect of having three kids with lots of years in between each), I can now TiVo programs I would never have on when the kids are awake and watch them while they're asleep.  This is obviously an excellent plan.  However, as anyone with children knows only too well, they never sleep.  Or at least mine are never all asleep until after midnight.

So here I am, definitely old enough to know better, trying to catch up with years of the Law & Order franchise, NCIS, Without a Trace, Cold Case...  And then awakening with the sun for my youngest.  I'm exhausted.  But it's not from guilt.  It's because to watch five episodes of one show requires nearly five hours that I don't have in my day until after midnight.

The rational thing would be to watch one show a night but there are so many shows and so little time!

No comments: